I went into this book completely blind, and honestly, it all started because of my son.
He lives all the way across the United States, and out of nowhere, he sent me a picture of a book cover and asked if I'd ever heard of it. I nearly dropped my phone. “Oh my gosh, I almost purchased that book yesterday!” I told him.
He admitted he was already three chapters in. As a massive book lover, I immediately wanted to know where he got it, secretly hoping he had tracked down a great indie bookstore. He did find a great local shop—but there was a catch. He hadn’t actually bought it yet! Instead, he was going there every single day on his lunch break and reading one chapter right there store.
The mom and book lover in me had to step in. I told him, “Son stop fingering the book and just purchase it!”
When my son tried to explain the plot to me, he said it felt exactly like playing a game of Dungeons & Dragons. Which the cool mom in me is part of his DnD party, so I knew what he was explaining to me. I was a kid from the 80s!!
What I truly did not expect was just how hilariously funny and even goofy at times. It never faulters with the snide condescending comments and the RPG format.
Even though life got in the way for me—causing me to take way longer to finish it than I should have—I absolutely could not put it down whenever I had it in my hands. It is an incredibly fast, gripping read.
If you love dystopian fiction, end-of-the-world sagas, or underdog stories where a character gets absolutely pummeled by the world and still fights their way through, this is the book for you.
The first book wraps up its chaotic journey at the end of Level Three, leaving you completely hooked for what comes next. Take it from me and my son: don't just skim it at the bookstore. Go buy a copy. You won't regret it.
** I purchased book 2 a week after I started reading it. Listed below is the full series at it current state.
- Book 1: Dungeon Crawler Carl (2020)
- Book 2: Carl's Doomsday Scenario (2021)
- Book 3: The Dungeon Anarchist's Cookbook (2021)
- Book 4: The Gate of the Feral Gods (2021)
- Book 5: The Butcher's Masquerade (2022)
- Book 6: The Eye of the Bedlam Bride (2023)
- Book 7: This Inevitable Ruin (2025)
- Book 8: A Parade of Horribles (2026)
No comments:
Post a Comment