I wish I could say I made up the title "Board Meeting," but I didn’t. It’s absolutely everywhere if you Google search paddleboarding.
Yes, I bought a paddleboard. But why, Elina, when you already own a kayak?
Well, I can't move the kayak by myself. You need two people to move one, two people to load one, and two people to unload it when you get to the water. At the start of summer, one of my very good friends purchased a paddleboard and started going out completely ALONE—even though I advised against it! She fell in love and has been going every other weekend.
She finally asked me, "Are you going to get one? You should, because I know you would like it as much as you love your kayak."
In the end, she was right. I think I may actually love it more, simply because I can store it right in my trunk and go whenever I want by myself. Independence is everything!
Like with anything new, you always worry:
- Did I get the right one?
- Did I get the right gear?
- Do I even know what I’m doing?
The answer to all those self-doubting questions is a resounding NO. I have no clue! You just learn as you go, cross your fingers that your board was made well, and hope it lasts at least the rest of the summer.
It is all about getting a board that fits your body. For the most part, it comes down to weight and height, along with how fit you are and what you want to do with it. I knew that my daughter would want to use it to do yoga eventually, so I made sure to purchase one that fits my size, is stable enough for yoga poses, and can fit at least two people.
Did it take me two weeks to find one? Yes. Was it expensive? No. It certainly can be expensive if you go straight for a high-end, premium board, but I knew I just wanted to try it out first.
I purchased a starter board package that came with minimal items:
Of course, I couldn't stop there. I also purchased additional straps, an electric pump (a lifesaver!), and a cup holder. My cup holder didn't arrive in time for my very first trip out, but that was completely fine. My Owala water bottle worked perfectly. And if you didn't know—yes, Owalas actually float!
My Wishlist
There are still a few things I need to round out my setup:
- A waterproof deck bag cooler
- Board handles or a carry strap to get to the launch dock easier
- A cute new wet bag
- A paddle holder for the side of the board
- A detachable chair
Yes, adding a chair basically turns the entire thing right back into a kayak... YES! But again, the key difference is that I can transport this entire setup completely by myself without any assistance.
The place we went had so many paddle boards groups, was calm for the most part and had the feel of community. We stayed out for more then 5 hours just strolling up river exploring.
Now, I am officially hooked ad looking for different locations to explore. I have absolutely no desire to be in the ocean or around any type of rapid, rushing waters. My ultimate goal is to take this board up to Yosemite next year to paddle down the river with view of the falls at each turn.
Until the next board meeting!
No comments:
Post a Comment