Sunday, August 2, 2026

Creature of Habits

We have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Substack, Blogger, Reddit, WordPress, Medium, and I even heard MySpace was trying to make a comeback. Depending on your generation, that determines which outlet you tend to go back to; I was the MySpace generation turned Facebook, turned Instagram, turned TikTok and now back to Facebook. Why because we are creatures of habit and life was simple at one time or another.
The issue I have is I want things separate. My friends and family don't need to view all the things I'm into—not that any of it is weird, but I just don't want to be judged, as family and friends judge.
So, I made different accounts for different things, but ultimately it turned into exhaustion. My life is more analog than before, which has been lovely, but sometimes I do not want to write out 10 quotes from a book—I would rather type. I have yet to find a place to put it all other than this old, trusty blog. So, here I am after two years of not posting, back to an old habit.
Some habits I have stopped and have not gone back to are soda, smoking, and hoarding. The first two I feel are normal habits people have, but the last is not a TV-series-worthy hoarding; it's just about being more mindful of what I purchase. I collect mugs, books, hair products, candles, and everything to do with craft, journal, and snail-mail. This year, I decided to downsize my craft supplies. If I bring a mug in, one goes out. No more candles until I melt the current ones I have. If I don't like a book, I gift it to a tiny library or pass it to another reader. I do not purchase anything unless I have an immediate use for it. I also have been downsizing clothing that I haven't worn in the last year.
Side quest: anyone else having an ANT problem? I've squished five right here on my desk as I've written this, just lonely ants either lost or looking for their next meal. 
Spending less time on devices has provided more time to do things I love, but trying to find a place to put my thoughts besides my journal-planner-art journal-memory keeper that I carry around with me every day has been exhausting and taken too much time. Which is why I'm here. I'm not sure if I plan to keep things separate or just post with labels.
I'm back... for a little while, I think all because of Whistler.

No comments:

Post a Comment