Thursday, August 13, 2026

Ducks: Two years in the oil sands

 


Let me start by saying that while graphic novels aren't everyone's cup of tea, they are definitely mine. I usually prefer somewhat relatable, everyday storylines. You know, normal, "could-happen-to-anyone" topics—like a group of girls finding a wormhole and traveling to another dimension to save their world, or a virus turning everyone into the walking dead while a group of strangers becomes a family to fight for survival.
I saw this specific book on a "must-read" list and, since I try to add a graphic novel or two to my yearly reading list, I decided to check it out. It happened to be available through my library. SCORE!
I didn't expect it to be as thick as it was, which is strange because it is only about 430 pages. The most amazing part? It’s actually a biography. YES! I love that concept, and the fact that the author illustrated the entire book herself is incredible. Just look at that cover! The illustration of the surroundings on such a vast scale was absolutely phenomenal. Honestly, the artwork alone convinced me to bump my rating from two stars up to a three.
As for the story itself, it was a heavy read. It could be my own naivety about what some women go through, or simply because I have thankfully never had to endure those situations myself. I have never dealt with such unbelievably rude, crude comments, so parts of it were hard for me to wrap my head around.
I truly feel for Kate and all the women who felt they had no choice but to subject themselves to that environment. I just can't fathom how no one warned anyone else, or why it wasn't spoken about until you were right there in the middle of it. Why would you not warn your own sister, of all people? That lack of warning was one of the major reasons I had a hard time processing that this was a reality for the author.
Memorable Quotes:
  • "Everything's ruined. Our lives, our lands are ruined... our water, the air, everything."
  • "Their almighty dollar comes first. That's pretty sad. You can't eat money."
  • "At the cost of our lives—as long as they get their money. They don't care how many of us they kill off."
Ultimately, I still love the concept of a graphic novel biography, but this particular read left me wondering if the medium always works for such heavy, real-world themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment